Wednesday, February 6, 2019

STYLING A SPACE WITH RECYCLED BOOKS

Books are my most used design element when styling a space.  The bigger the better.  I always purchase large ledgers when I find them.  The size and the ornate covers make them perfect bases.  They're always filled with wonderful handwriting too.  For me, the script inside is an art form.

VINTAGE BOOKS ON A COLUMN BASE IN MY FOYER

The cover was missing on this vintage leather book. 
 I displayed the handwriting on the inside page as if it were art.

VINTAGE BOOK WITH BEAUTIFUL SCRIPT

 A few years ago I created some books by adding images to their spines.  I covered them with craft paper, then decoupaged images onto them.  To see the post with the tutorial, go here.

BOOKS WITH ARCHITECTURAL PRINTS

I can't tell you how excited I was when I found some recycled books with "designer" titles, some  with quotes, and others with design images.  The artist purchased close-out books from a publisher and recycled them by adding new covers.  I bought some to sell at the store

"DESIGNER BOOKS" @BUCKEYSTOWN DESIGN CO-OP

I always buy what I like for the store because one of my perks is that I get to keep some for myself. One of my keepers was a stack of books with the image of a Chanel purse.  I placed it onto a bookshelf in my family room.  I draped an old chain link belt over it because it reminded me of the the actual purse's shoulder strap.

CHANEL "PURSE" ON MY BOOKSHELF

I chose another stack of books for myself with a quote by Coco Chanel.
To see the full post go here.

STACK OF RECYCLED BOOKS IN MY FOYER

The same artist recently came out with recycled books with city coordinates.
 Here they are at the store.

RECYCLED BOOKS WITH LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE COORDINATES FOR CITIES IN MY AREA

Of course I included some quotes and some "designer" books in the display.

RECYCLED BOOKS

RECYCLED BOOKS 

Do you used books as design elements in your home?
Where would you use these recycled books?

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, these shelves are fascinating! I love the idea of these books. I use books on shelves, stacked on tables or stools,baskets, and in an antique English bamboo Canterbury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I totally agree. Books are fabulous design elements.

      Delete