Sunday, September 28, 2014

An Elegant and Decadent Artist's Loft at The Design House

My room at The Design House is styled as an artist's loft.  You'll notice my favorite design elements throughout--black, the color that always shows up with me, mixes of modern with vintage, layering upon layering upon layering, chippiness next to elegance, and always architectural elements. 
 I hope you'll enjoy the images as much as I enjoyed styling the room.


View From the Entry
The caned-back sofa is behind a coffee table that I created from two different pieces. 
 The curvy base originally had a glass top.  
Now it supports a Tuscan scene painted on a round board. 
 Under it all is a wool "zebra" rug. 


I used a Victorian folding screen as a back drop for the Mid Century Modern bar cart.
The panels on one side of the screen are covered in a vintage English chintz.
The reverse side is solid brown linen.
This would be a perfect headboard.


Close ups of the bar cart shelves.







I love everything about this chippy vintage double bow front dresser.




The bookshelves are Mid Century modern.  I put them next to each other rather than separated.
The sunburst mirrors hang where the bookshelves meet.


Close ups of the shelves.












Of course there's an easel with a portrait in oil on canvas.


The desk is wire mesh with a glass top and could easily be a unique bar.
It is styled as a work space.  Above is a framed map of Rome.



Top of Desk

A vintage stool is desk seating.  New leopard fabric, double cording and nail head trim accent it.


The wall to the left of the doorway.


Close ups of that side of the room.




I combined the over-sized bound New York Times  volumes with
 a deconstructed antique stool to create a small side table.


I used a sofa table on the right side of the room.  It holds more art supplies on its surface.

Sofa Table






In the background is a spice cabinet with many drawers.  
In the foreground I created clip boards with old book covers.


Vintage French post cards are tucked into a book folded accordion style.



She rides too.   



I hope to see you all next weekend.



A big thank you to Amy, Suzanne, and the whole Design House team
 for the opportunity to work with your fabulous group again.

October 3,4,5
10-5

42350 Lucketts Rd
Leesburg, VA


To see my previous post with images of what else I'll have at The Design House, go here.

To see my caned-back settee transformation go here.

To see my caned-back chair with English fabric go here.

To see last year's Design House go here.



ENJOYED THIS POST? 
 Sign up to receive a notification every time I publish by clicking here.

5 comments:

  1. This is a real WOWIE, Kathy!!!! Can't wait to come by. Is the easel for sale...how much?
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhhhhhhhhh--mazing!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely room! wow - all of the elements on their own are great, as well as the sum of all the parts! love it Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the screen, (and everything else)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, Kathy! In love with that settee with the stripe down the center. Have a great weekend!

    www.designsbykaty.com

    ReplyDelete