Sunday, July 20, 2014

Next To

I just realized that I spend way too much time figuring out ways to break design rules.
But hey, rule breaking is good, not bad.
And anyway, aren't rules made to be broken?

Lately I've decided that pairs don't belong separated and symmetrical;
 they need to be next to each other.


The designer could have placed these columns on either side of the mantel or only used one, but instead chose to place them next to each other for an asymmetrical look that is still balanced.


Via

This double take isn't just next to, but actually stacked above.
Would you do this in a room with cathedral ceilings?
I could see some art or a mirror layered with art "framed" in the upper mantel.

Via



Here's another tall idea.  Love the  pair of doors above the fireplace.


What about dressers next to each other? 

Via



 Or, why not have two pendant lights alongside?  They don't even have to match.

Via
Why separate bookshelves?


Via

Sconces can be next to each other instead of flanking the artwork.

Vai

Two chunks of wood side-by-side instead of on either side of the sofa.

Via

 I also can't get enough of tables butted against each other.  


Via


Via

Via
My all time favorite pairs are beds.  What about these beds end-to-end?

Via

Via
Who said twin beds must be separated?

Via


Via Pinterest

Via

Via


What do you think of  pairs end-to-end, stacked on top, or side by side?


Kathy


There have been some problems when following my blog with Feedburner.
 If you subscribe to this feed you might want to consider changing to  Bloglovin'.
 There's no delay in notification when I post.  It just seems a more dependable way to receive my blog posts .

The link is on the left side bar on my web page.
When you decide to follow make sure you check this selection:

I want one email every time any of my favorite blogs are updated.


Thanks for following.

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant, Kathy! One of my favorite posts ever! And now you've got me thinking about how I can redo things in my house....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post! Made me think about a few things in my house I could do differently...Love all your examples. Thanks for the food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "try" to break my symmetrical sickness, but, sometimes, I just can't! LOL I love the pics you shared, especially the door on the mantel (fabulous!)

    ReplyDelete