Thursday, October 11, 2018

DOROTHY DRAPER AND AN OSTRICH

I've always been attracted to the style of Dorothy Draper and her bold design choices.  My favorite is her Espana dresser manufactured by Baker Furniture.  I don't own an original, but I was able to afford one of the many reproductions of that piece.   For now, it's in my foyer next to the front door.

DOROTHY DRAPER STYLE DRESSER

My ostrich collage art is above the dresser.  
Who knew that an ostrich would look good with this  piece!

OSTRICH COLLAGE



Next to the dresser is a vintage caned-back chair.  I painted the chair black and had it upholstered in vintage English chintz fabric with an architectural print.

VINTAGE CHAIR AND ENGLISH FABRIC

Ring pulls have become my new favorite hardware.

RING PULL HARDWARE

I've already shared that books are one of my most used design elements.  If you missed that post, go here to see how I use books throughout my home.

BOOKS AS A DESIGN ELEMENT

The lamp on the dresser is vintage.  I added fringe to an already pretty wonderful shade. 

VINTAGE LAMP WITH NEW SHADE

The chippy vintage finials move around the house quite a bit.  For now they're very happy resting on the stack of books and wrapped in pearls.

CHIPPY FINIALS WRAPPED IN PEARLS
I have a two-story foyer.   
Whenever I come down the stairs I'm greeted by a little bit of Dorothy Draper.

MY VIEW FROM THE LANDING

Do you have a favorite style or designer?


Go here for some background information about Dorothy Draper, an influential designer
from the early to mid 20th Century.
Go here to see more examples of her Mid Century Modern/Hollywood Regency designs.

ENJOYED THIS POST? 
 Sign up to receive a notification every time I publish by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment