Saturday, October 24, 2020

MY RESCUED MUM AND FERN

 Mums are always a part of my Fall decor.  They're such a fast and easy Fall decor fix.  In the past I've tried to save them for the next year, but it never worked.  My sister told me that if you cut them back after they bloom, they'll grow back in the Spring and be ready for Fall--that's if the deer don't munch on them.  It worked.  My rescued mum is in a tall planter in front of the garage.  The yellow mum was very easy to save.  I cut it back and left it outside all winter.  It started to grow once the weather warmed and bloomed in time for the Fall.

MY RESCUED MUM








  
 The fern(s) that I rescued were much more of a project.  I kept them in the basement with a grow light all winter.  They shed leaves and made a mess.  I knew they would be more complicated to save, but they were the ferns that we used at my daughter's outside wedding last year.  I guess you could say that they were sentimental ferns.  

They made it through the winter and were perfect in the Spring.  I had them in urns and planters all summer.  I'm not sure I'll attempt that this year.  Since frost is in the forecast, I brought one of the ferns inside to the screened porch to protect it.  

MY FERN ON THE PORCH

SCREENED PORCH




Can you see the mum in the background of this photo?

MY RESCUED MUM IN THE BACKGROUND

Do you try to save annuals?

If you'd like to see more of my screened porch, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment