Thursday, September 13, 2018

THE PITTSBURGH COOKIE TABLE

I grew up in a small town north of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where every wedding I ever attended had a cookie table.  It took me a long time to realize that the cookie table at a wedding reception was a tradition specific to Western Pennsylvania.

Recently I attended my niece's wedding in Pittsburgh.

MY BEAUTIFUL NIECE

Of course her reception wasn't complete without a cookie table.  Her Mom and all her friends and relatives spent many days baking every cookie imaginable.

THE AMAZING COOKIE TABLE

My niece and her husband are Pittsburgh Pirates fans, so the reception was held in the lounge at PNC Park, home of the Pirates.  It was a fabulous venue.  Many photos were taken on home plate before the reception.

HOME PLATE PHOTOS COMPLETE WITH JERSEYS

The venue was perfect.  I was lucky enough to get a photo of the Pittsburgh skyline from the patio.

VIEW FROM THE PATIO

I do have to share a story that's always been told about the cookie table.  I'm not sure about the truth of it, but I do love it.  Rumor has it that the wedding attendees always lined their purses with plastic bags so that they could fill their purses with cookies at the reception and enjoy them at home too.

What I usually observe is that guests are encouraged to "make a plate" to take home with them.  I do believe that the cookie table really out shines the wedding cake.

My Mom and her sisters made sure I had a cookie table when I married here in Maryland.   All our non-Pittsburgh friends were very impressed.  I think it was the most talked about part of our reception.   Who knew??

1 comment: