Saturday, August 18, 2012

How I Use Spheres in My Designs

A design element that I use frequently--that is besides vintage books and architectural elements--is spheres.  These orbs come in all sizes and are made from metal, wood, natural materials, and ceramics.   In a recent post I used a collection of mottled orbs in a glass cylinder on a pedestal.  This would be so easy to do. My orbs all match, but they don't have to be the same.



 You could have a mix of orbs and other materials.  I did another arrangement for Fall with acorns as my orbs,and added antlers, pine cones, nuts and berries.


Another kind of container I used was a wooden dough bowl.  It has a mix of natural items with  woven willow orbs and wooden spheres with a moss cover.


On my screened porch I placed fishing floats in a hammered metal bowl with some faux shells.



Single spheres work too and you don't have to have a container to create your vignettes.  You can use a single orb in place of a candle.  I did this on my screened porch.  Two of my candlesticks have candles and the third one has a ceramic orb.  Above the table is a metal orb that was intended for a garden ornament.  I added a chain and a fabric cord cover and suspended it.  I plan on adding a bulb and a cord to it and creating a light fixture.


Here's another candlestick in my living room with a sphere with a molded fleur-di-lis pattern on top.



I also use spheres on pedestals in my home.  I have this orb standing alone on my desk shelf, but it could just as easily be used as a bookend.


I actually used these iron spheres on pedestals as bookends in my living room.



I knew I used spheres in my home but until I started looking around I didn't realize how much they are a part of my decor.  In fact, this is part one.  Go here for part two.

Kathy




Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I love using spheres in design too! I guess when I take a step back and look around, they're everywhere. I just adore your blog and your style.

    Have a great rest of the weekend!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas Kathy and I especially love the orb pendant light you are making. :) What a fabulous idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw you featured at DIY Project Parade! good job!

    ReplyDelete