Tuesday, July 21, 2015

My Gardening Guru

When I was a new mom in my first home I was fortunate to have a lovely neighbor, Rhoda, who was an avid gardener.  I could always see her tending her garden when I was outside with my kids. We became friends and she taught me all I know about plants "over the fence."
I learned names of plants, which liked shade and which for sun.  She told me when to prune (never after July 1), when to plant, and most importantly how to divide and propagate them.  I"ll never forget how with her help and a little patience I turned a few liriope plants into a long border along a wall.  Over the years, the flowers in her garden spread over into mine.  She just wasn't my gardening guru, she was my friend, my teacher, my mother's helper, and a third granny to my children.  I've moved several times since then, but one of the things that always comes with me are my plants.  I make sure I have some cuttings from the garden before I move on.  They become the foundation for the gardens in our new home as well as a memory of friendship.

Some of these images are new to the blog and to my garden and others are long-time friends.


































4 comments:

  1. Kathy, your garden blooms are stunning. Wise woman to take starts of your garden to begin a new one when you move. My post this week is on pass along plants. Sounds like that is exactly what your neighbor and friend did for you. '-)
    Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Sarah, when I read your post I thought my goodness we're both thinking about the same things at the same time. Passed along plants are special. I love the plants in your post that were passed
    down though generations--very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy, hope you are doing well. Love this post. and I love pass-along plants. I have so many plants started from Mom's garden as well as seeds from friend's gardens. Your garden and home are so beautiful. My flowers are waning right now from the intense heat. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lynn. Pass along plants are the best. We're in a heat wave here too. The humidity is giving us a break for few days so I'm so looking forward to being outside in garden.

    ReplyDelete