Thursday, January 17, 2013

Hot to Shop: Vintage Pull Down Educational Maps

 I've written about vintage maps before, but thought I'd re-work and post about them again.

 One of the questions I'm frequently asked is:  I love vintage shopping, but how do I know what to buy?    How do you decide what to buy and where you'll use it ?
My answer is that I've been doing this for a while.  Part of the skill involved is just repeated exposure.  I  subscribe to design magazines, design blogs, read design books, and watch programs on interior design.  On some level, if you get enough design exposure experience, you'll find that you'll notice something that you've seen in one of your resources and just know that you should purchase it.  Many of my purchases are a gut reaction.  Only after I look at my design file, my Pinterest boards, or look at a magazine again, do I realize that I saw that idea previously.  It's almost as if I subconsciously stored the object of the image.  After so many years, I just know when I should purchase something--not always where I'll use it--but I know it will work.
So I guess the short answer is practice and exposure and trust your gut.

Finally, to the point I've been trying to make with all that talk.  I've been writing some posts about what's trending in vintage decor, so while you're developing your shopping skills --what fun practice shopping--you can look for some of the things I feature.

Today I'd like to feature a hot design trend, educational classroom maps.  They are sometimes called posters and also called vintage teaching charts and pull down maps.
I'm sure you're all familiar with the maps like these:



The classroom teaching charts that I always look for have a science/nature-related theme.  In my sun room I have a reference map for shells.  It's one of my favorite things in my home.
You can see that it has been well-used. It was so fragile that I had to apply a muslin backing so I could safely hang it.


It actually was the design inspiration for the look and the colors in my sun room.

My Sun Room With the Vintage Shell Teaching Map

I recently found this smaller version with mollusks.  I love the vibrant colors and the size.  I'm noticing that many of these educational maps are from Germany.  I haven't decided if I'll use this in my home or sell it.



This next image is more of a science poster.  It's definitely shabby, but I really liked the subject matter
and the illustrations.


This last image isn't even vintage, but I loved the art and the gold leaf.  I have plans for this one.



As you can see,  the science-related maps have greater appeal to me.  I love them for their subject matter but also for their vibrant colors and design. Their large size really makes a statement.


Here are some other examples of nature-related pull down maps
 that will surely make you want to own and display some.






Source for the vintage teaching charts' images that are not from my home here.

Put these maps on your decor trend shopping list. You can find them readily on e-bay under the pull down map category.  Here are some (fuzzy) images of some I recently saw for less than $150 on e-bay. I'm also seeing them more and more in antiques shops too.



This botanical isn't vintage, but what a bargain.  It's at IKEA and it's $19.99.


Let me know what you find and how you used it.
What are you hot to shop for?  How do you decide what to collect (hoard)?


Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment