Sunday, January 15, 2012

Union Jack

I'm seeing the Union Jack everywhere in design.

On dressers.

Via Pinterest


On pillows.




And Valorie Hart from The Visual Vamp even painted one on her dishwasher.


For even more images, go to Pinterest.

I've been wanting to give it a try for a while now but I wanted to experiment on a small piece.  I selected an old radio cabinet base that someone had converted into a bench/end table with a lift top lid and storage.  I painted it a Swedish gray and distressed it.



I added the Union Jack to the lift top.  I used different widths of painters' tape to tape off the design.  I highly recommend looking at an image while you're taping.  I basically taped the design and then used an exacto knife to cut away the areas I didn't need.   I started with the  "cross" in the center then taped my way out.  To get the colors in the same tone, I just added black to my original paint.  That way I knew that it would be in the same colorway.  I created two colors, each one darker than my original color.



I think I'm ready to paint a big piece now.

Kathy






1 comment:

  1. Now that looks GOOD. I like the blue. Not as harsh.

    You are so talented and clever.

    Elizabeth

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete