Saturday, January 28, 2012

Layering

I love the look of layering.  You've seen my layering on tabletops and mantels, but I also love the look when a  mirror, an architecturally interesting plaque, or a picture are layered over a styled bookcase.

The sunburst mirror in this image from Cote de Texas adds an element of surprise to the already beautifully styled niche.



I don't know the source for the next two images but the prints on the front of the bookcase and the antlers in frames in the following really add that special element of the unexpected to the styling.





And, why not add something architectural as Brooke from Velvet and Linen did?




I created a similar effect in my sun room.  I didn't add to a bookcase, but I layered framed prints onto the window frames. ( Don't tell any one I put holes in window frames). 
I have four sets of windows in that room.  Since the two side windows have views of the neighbors, I added draperies for privacy.  Privacy is not a concern in the two sets facing the back yard.  I didn't want to block the view, but I needed something.  Since I already had a shell reference map between the windows, I added some prints of coral in mirrored frames.

One of a set of six prints.  So sorry about the reflections from the drapes, rug, and floor.
These prints are from a large home decor supplier, Two's Company.  They are one of the wholesale sellers that I use for the store.  I love the look of mixing new with vintage.  These framed prints (no longer available) were keepers and would work perfectly in this room since I had shells and coral color as an accent in that room already.
Here they are in place on the window frames.


Some close-ups of the prints, one at night and the other during the day.





Anyone have a trick for taking photos when mirrored surfaces are involved? 

Kathy



2 comments:

  1. Great room with wonderful windows. I don't blame you for not wanting to cover the windows, the view is wonderful. The frames are a fabulous idea. Love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those windows are beautiful and the artwork is such an unexpected pretty accent.....love them there! Those mirrored frames are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete