Saturday, August 6, 2011

What I Learned About Painting a Chevron Pattern

Recently I posted  about my frustrating chevron painting project.  Here was my final result after many start overs and re-thinking.  If you missed the post, go here.



HOW I WOULD PAINT A CHEVRON PATTERN IF I EVER ATTEMPTED IT AGAIN


1.   I would never use a circle.  I would paint on a rectangle or a square.

2.   I would decide on a width.  I found that two or three inches is about right for a table top.

3.  Rather than trying to draw the pattern, I would purchase painters' tape in that width.

4.  I would find the center of the table and create the chevron design with my tape across the center.

5.  Next, I would follow the center pattern and place another row of tape against the top of the original chevron pattern and follow that pattern to make a matching touching row.


 

6.  I would continue making rows of touching chevron design until I reached the top edge.

7.  I would do the same thing with tape from the center to the bottom.

8.  The result will be that the entire surface is covered in zig zag.

9.   Next I'd remove every other row of tape.




10.  This is important.  I would press down the edges of the remaining tape so no paint oozes under and use a roller to paint in the untaped area with a contrasting color.

11.  Remove the tape and let me know how yours worked.  


I certainly hope this was easier than the way I did mine.


Kathy

2 comments:

  1. Live and learn...that is what makes life, life. Great tips, I may have to find something to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. I've always been a fan of any kind of stripe and/or plaid, so would like to try this on something.

    ReplyDelete