Saturday, June 22, 2019

I LOVE MY PERENNIAL FERNS

I recently wrote about my annual ferns.  I also add texture to my garden with my perennial ferns.  As many things that happen to me, I rescued the plants.  My neighbor was removing and discarding them.  I offered to take them from her garden and plant them in mine.  I planted them along the patio garden wall.  They're one of the first of my perennials to appear every spring.

PERENNIAL FERNS LINING MY PATIO WALL
They spread by underground runners.  This year one appeared in the middle of the side path.
 I'm just going to leave the solo volunteer there.

VOLUNTEER FERN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GARDEN PATH

The ferns are pretty prolific, so I divided them and planted them in the garden near our back porch.

FERNS IN THE SIDE GARDEN
I always add architectural elements to my gardens.  You can see an iron bird bath in this garden.  I used to fill it with annual plants, but it was too much trouble to keep them watered.  One Mother's Day my daughter gave me a silver garden sphere.  I plopped it into the birdbath and there it's been for many years.  It's one of my favorite accidental additions.

SILVER SPHERE IN MY BIRD BATH

The very last place I planted the ferns was near the fence beside my kitchen door.  They weave themselves into and over the iron spokes and are a perfect back drop and contrast to the vintage fence section.

FERNS SURROUNDING MY IRON FENCE SECTION

These next images are some close ups of the ferns.  Enjoy.









If you live nearby in the Washington DC area, let me know if you'd like some perennial ferns for your garden.  I'd love to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment