Saturday, June 8, 2019

EASY LANDSCAPING WITH FERNS

I'm always trying to find easy care plants for my garden.  Boston ferns are my go to.  They always are on sale in May.  This year I scooped up several of them.  I don't even take them out of their pots.  I just drop them into different containers.  They add texture and color all summer and into the Fall with very little care. 

I have some cement urns in front of the garage.  I just plopped the pot into the urn.  

FERN IN A CEMENT PLANTER

Here it is viewed from the other direction.

SAME URN DIFFERENT DIRECTION

There's a second matching cement urn in front of the garage.  
I tucked a gargoyle under the cascading fronds.

MY GARGOYLE SHADED UNDER THE FERN

If you look in the background of the first image, you'll see another fern in my chinoiserie planter.  The planter is huge, so I balanced an iron garden sphere across the opening and tucked another fern inside the orb.  I have a pair of these planters too.  They flank the french doors.  Here's a close up of the fern finding its way out of the openings in the iron sphere.

FERN TUCKED INSIDE AN IRON GARDEN SPHERE

I have another fern in a small urn on the front porch.

FERN ON THE FRONT PORCH

I love the way the fern catches the afternoon sunshine, cascades over the urn, and reaches out to blend into my chartreuse hostas.

AFTERNOON SUN ON THE FERN ON MY FRONT PORCH
These ferns are all annuals.  I always try to save them by bringing them inside in the winter, but they never look as good as the new ones I buy in the Spring.   

I also have perennial ferns in the garden.  I'll be sharing them in another post. 

Do you have some plants you always add to your landscape?

No comments:

Post a Comment