Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Florentine Boxes

Have you ever seen Florentine boxes?
Obviously made in Italy, they are wooden boxes, picture frames, or trays that are covered in gesso,
then covered in gilt.  They're really a nice glitzy holiday addition.
Many times they depict religious scenes, almost like icons.



Sometimes they have geometric designs like this.
.

Or, non-religious depictions like this.






They're very easily found on e-bay or Etsy and are very reasonably priced.








 I incorporated some of these boxes and pictures to create my holiday Florentine mantel.







Some mantel details.


What do you think?



Kathy



2 comments:

  1. Very pretty and I love the addition of the magnolia leaves, they add just the right amount of color and soften the vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your Florentine mantel, it's stunning. I also love the gorgeous mirror.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's lovely to meet you. I look forward to more visits in the New Year!!!
    Best,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete