Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Screened Porch Before and After

With the warmer weather finally here, I thought I'd revisit my screened porch. 
 If you've been following my blog you've seen this porch before,
 but in this post I'm also going to share the horrible mess it was before I began.


This is the original porch.
 When we bought the house the roof leaked, there was moss growing on the sides,
and the steps just weren't safe.



We stripped it down to pretty much the footprint of the space.
 Here's the outside of the structure after renovation and landscaping.  

AFTER WITH NEW LANDSCAPING

The original floor was warped and peeling plywood.
  I tried to cover the flaws on the floor by painting a checkerboard pattern.
We ended up removing the floor.
 Can you tell that the screening is actually many screened doors butted against each other?  Clever or bad idea??????
We tore them out too and added a new floor and Chinese Chippendale railing and screening
and a new roof.  We reused the beams and added beadboard between them.

My Attempt to Cover the Plywood Floor

NEW FLOOR AND RAILING

The last flaw was that the windows on the interior wall were two different sizes.

INTERIOR WALL WITH TWO DIFFERENT WINDOWS

I solved that by covering them both with floor to ceiling draperies.


Of course the inside styling was what I couldn't wait to do.
 I found the day bed at an estate sale.  The mirror is from Home Goods,
 the columns are from an antiques store.
A very chippy medical cabinet is on one side of the day bed.

CHIPPY MEDICAL CABINET SIDE TABLE


FACTORY CART TURNED COFFEE TABLE

On the opposite side of the room is a very weathered garden table and chairs.

GARDEN TABLE AND CHAIRS

I suspended a garden orb above the table.

SUSPENDED GARDEN ORB AND CLOCHE AND IRON CANDLESTICKS
PEEK INSIDE CLOCHE

Yes, I've crammed even more in the other corner.

THE LAST CORNER---PROMISE

No candles in this lantern.  It's filled with books, a bird and some fan coral.

LANTERN

Under the table are my woven suitcases.

STACK OF VINTAGE SUITCASES

I placed a framed ceiling tile above a console table covered in giraffe fabric.

CONSOLE TABLE, CEILING TILE, SANTOS, METAL FERNS AND DEMIJOHNS

MY DEMIJOHNS

Whew, we are so happy with the result.
Have you transformed an ugly duckling?  I'd love to see your project.

8 comments:

  1. amazing how far it's come! i love the blue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE everything about this space...beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the look of the Chinese Chippendale railing and screening. It makes a beautiful statement. I'm curious about the wood floor and moisture when it rains. Is the floor treated in some way?
    Your screened in porch is a beautiful space. I know how much we enjoy our sun porch. They are wonderful additions to a home. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Sarah. The wood is for exterior use and we added an exterior stain/preservative to seal it.

      Delete
    2. I love it, Kathy! Just wonderful. And very timely for me - we just extended our patio and are having an arbor put up. And I want to make it an outdoor room (wanted to enclose it but husband didn't). So I'm seeking inspiration, and this is great!

      Delete
    3. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.
      http://screen-solutions.com/

      Delete
  4. This is stunning! I love your finish choices. What a happy space

    www.designsbykaty.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love a great BEFORE & AFTER!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete