Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Good Enough

I never thought I'd be satisfied with good enough.  If you've been following along you know that I'm not a good enough kind of girl.  So, when I took on a rusty vintage glider as a project, it took me a while to convince myself that good enough was okay.

Rusty Metal Glider

I purchased this wonderful glider mainly because of my son.  One of his favorite things to do when we visit my parents is to sit on the glider with Grandpa.  They spend hours rocking back and forth and chatting on beautiful summer evenings in Pennsylvania. Of course a dog or two hops on and joins the fun too.  I had to do something with the cushions though.

The 1960's called and they want their cushions back.  Ha.

 I loved the wire mesh frame of the glider, but the cushion fabric was dated.  I got some prices on recovering the seats, but it would cost more than I paid for the glider.  So, enter "good enough".  I decided I was going to come up with a solution.   I have quite a few coffee sacks and I decided that since they basically are large burlap pillow cases, I would wrap them around the old cushions and stitch them in place on the underside.  I convinced myself that this glider, even though sheltered by a porch roof, would be outdoors when it was raining and faded by the sun.  Good enough would do for something that was going to be abused by the elements.  Agree??

Glider "Slipcovered" in Coffee Sacks

Of course I decided that it needed some pillows.  I dropped some pillow forms into two more coffee sacks, folded the flap over, and hand stitched them closed with a large needle and thread.

Pillows Added


Here's the final result.  James and Bella are enjoying the ride.  Grandpa needs to visit and join in.



I've used burlap coffee sacks in projects before.  I made one into a large pillow.





I made a seat cover with ballet ties for an old metal chair.




I used a strip of burlap to make a cord cover for my wire pendant lamp.




I used a sack to create a cork board.





I covered a vanity bench with another sack.





What have you done with coffee sacks?

For more creative ways with coffee sacks, visit my Pinterest Board.

Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment