Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Climbing Vines

I love the look of climbing vines.  Since I live in a cottage-looking house I thought climbing vines would be perfect.  But, my home is a mix of wood and brick and my sensible husband---darn---brought up the fact that when we have to paint the house, we'd have to tear down the vines.  Why is he so practical? 
 Couldn't we just let the vines cover the peeling paint?


You know I found a way to get around this, don't you?


 For now I'll have to settle on some climbing hydrangea on the brick.


Climbing Hydrangea on the Side of My Home

I also have some vines curling up my arbor on the side of the house.




Roses climb a trellis on a side wall.



A climbing hyacinth bean covers a chimney.



I even encouraged a morning glory to climb a downspout.




But a girl can dream.  This is what I'm tempted to do.
Something not quite as tame.



Via


Via


Via


Via


Via


Via

Via


Via


I'm thinking let's cover my cottage and not worry about painting and practicality.


Kathy




















5 comments:

  1. Kathy, I love the look too! We had fig ivy covering our chimney, and I loved the look. Our contractor encouraged us to pull it off because it was damaging the mortar. At our previous home, we had English ivy covering the back of our house. Again, loved the look, but it would grow through the windows. It was a mess at times. I think the arbor and the trellis are the best ideas. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love vines too Kathy Our deck is so long and huge.....reminds me of a bowling alley. So, I planted hybrid morning glories in pots to run along the railings. Sure softened that deck up and the hummingbirds love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on the fence about climbing ivy, (no pun intended - ha ha). When we moved into our home 14 years ago, we ripped down the climbing ivy on one brick wall. NOT an easy task! Your climbing hydrangea, roses, morning glory and hyacinths are a gorgeous touch Kathy! I think a little bit of climbing ivy if you decide upon, will soon discover goes a looooooong way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful home to love, your home is magazine garden perfect.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the look of climbing greenery!! I love your arbor...so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete