Thursday, July 25, 2013

Is Rule Breaking Bad?

I love breaking rules when I'm pulling a room together.  Breaking rules is good, not bad.  It adds interest and a surprise.


The "normal" way to hang objects or artwork vertically involves all art to be one size, or hung from largest on the bottom to small at the top.


It's so much more interesting with the heavier piece on the top.

Via
Here's another example.  I love the dark walls too.


Via

Why can't columns be alongside each other instead of flanking either side?

Via

It's the same way of thinking with these lamps.  Why can't they be next to each other lighting this wonderful over-sized painting?

Via

Same idea, but this time the chandeliers are together.

Via

Why do you have to hang a print on the wall?
Put it on the front of a china.

Via

Hang them on a window.

Via
I love the way these shelves are styled and of course the surprise of prints layered on them.

Via


I love when a mat is larger than the art.

Via
What about a whole wall with over sized mats??

Via
Here's another example;  and I love the belts around the pillows too.

Via

No need to fill up a clam shell.  It's much more interesting upside down on the floor.

Via

Put nesting tables in front of your sofa instead of alongside.


Via

Turn a mirror on its side.  Make it a piece of art.

Via

Off center art works for me too.


Via

Here's another example.  The lantern balances it out.

Via

Come on, break some rules and add some interest to your decor.  Aren't rules made to be broken?

Kathy


2 comments:

  1. When I was first married, the first rule I broke, was, if you had an area rug, all the chair legs were supposed to sit on the rug. Mine sat half on, half off. LOL......Been breaking rules ever since. Love to sit larger pictures on the floor just leaning against the wall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great outside of the box post. I loved it! So many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete