Sunday, February 3, 2013

More Maps in Design

Recently I wrote about using classroom pull-down educational maps as over-sized art.  If you missed that post, go here.
These pull-down educational maps are an excellent, and inexpensive, way to fill a large space.

Aren't these perfect against the brick expanse?

Via

The room repeats the colors in map.

Via
   
Notice the huge globe on the floor in the foreground.  I love spheres on the floor.
Via
This map is the perfect back drop for the bed.

Via
This pull down map is another back drop for the bed.

Via
  Today I'd like to share ideas using maps framed in segments.  I think this is my favorite use of maps.  They can be new or vintage.

This one is an idea from one of my favorite blogs,  Zhush.



Or this colorful arrangement from Tobi Fairley.




This next image appeals to me because of the bohemian feel of the room and the contrast between the black and white maps with the chartreuse walls.


Via
I love the masculine look of this bedroom.

Via

What about the idea of several framed maps in a row?

Via
Or, this vertical arrangement.

Via
In this arrangement, the frames are in all sizes, but the symmetry makes it work.

Via

I decided I wanted to do something similar in my home.  I found a map of Paris in quadrants and had it framed.  It's above my dresser in my bedroom.  It's the first thing you see as you walk into the room.


Via
This is a closer look.  I placed some map orbs in urns in front of the map quadrants.

Via

Have you used maps in your home design?  Please share.

Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment